How You Know You are Ready to Build Your Own Wood Kayak
There are many people who think that building a wood kayak is beyond their ability, but most people find building a kayak is achievable, fun, and fulfilling.
1. Time – The key to building a wood kayak is to take your time. Experienced builders can take as little as a week to build a kayak; however, a first time builder should start slower. If you spend a few Saturdays per month and 2-3 evenings a week, you can have your kayak built in about eight weeks.
2. Prepare – View all the building videos ahead of time. Get a sense of what is involved – nothing is very hard and you will learn a few skills along the way.
3. Cost – A complete kit will have everything you need to build and finish the boat. The only thing you will need to add is a paddle, life jacket and some sort of roof rack for your car to get on the water. These three accessories can be purchased for as little as $100 up to $1,000 for the high end options.
4. Commitment – The key to finishing a wood kayak is to work on it as often as you can. The longer you wait between build times, the more time it takes to get familiar with the project again. The more you work on the boat, the fewer total hours it will take.
5. Partner up – Consider building a kit with your spouse, friends, kids, parents, or even find a group of people that are interested in building together. Sharing the building experience is very rewarding and can reduce the building time. If you build two or more boats together, you’ll have a paddling partner with matching kayaks!
Brows our wood kayak kits to find the perfect kayak that fits your needs!